"Riot FOMO" is the first episode of the fifth season of Orange Is the New Black. It is the fifty-third episode of the series overall. It premiered on June 9, 2017. It was written by Jenji Kohan and directed by Andrew McCarthy.
The episode picks up directly where Season 4 left off: During a protest sparked by Poussey Washington's death, Dayanara Diaz picks up a gun brought in by CO Humphrey and points it at him, urged by her fellow inmates to shoot him. Visibly agitated by all of the noise around her, Daya shoots first at the ceiling to quiet everyone, but then shoots Humphrey in the leg after he attempts to speak to her in Spanish. Kasey Sankey and Maritza Ramos start kicking Humphrey as he bleeds on the floor, but they are stopped when Gloria Mendoza intervenes. Thrust into the role of riot leader, Daya orders Sankey to get on CO Artesian McCullough's radio and state that Humphrey had done the shooting. Almost immediately, the alarm goes off throughout the prison, prompting inmates to scatter and either join the riot or find somewhere to wait it out.
Carrie Black and Tiffany Doggett lock themselves in the commissary, establishing control over the snacks and other goods there. Blanca Flores cleans out the commissary's supply of padlocks, using them to secure the prison's entrances. Angie Rice and Leanne Taylor attempt to break into the pharmacy cage to steal the drugs held there, but are edged out by Nicky Nichols and Lorna Morello Muccio after the latter are able to get a captured CO Dixon's keys. After Gloria brings a severely injured Humphrey to Sophia Burset for emergency medical attention, Sophia reluctantly does what she can before taking him to medical. The Latina women, led by Daya and Maria Ruiz, begin to round up the guards and take them as hostages, locking them in the "bubble" in one of the dormitories. Taystee, flanked by Black Cindy, Janae Watson, and Alison Abdullah, storm Joe Caputo's office, hoping the camera crew will still be there so they can broadcast the truth about Poussey's death. Finding the crew gone, they settle for taking Caputo and MCC's PR rep, Josh, as hostages and forcing them to issue a statement about Poussey via YouTube. Red breaks into CO Piscatella's office to look for damning information to use against him. Almost immediately, she finds an ID card belonging to a male inmate, which she saves, and a photo album depicting Piscatella's decorative "tablescapes". Sankey, Brandy Epps, and Skinhead Helen attempt to capture COs Stratman and Blake, but are subdued and end up locked in the kitchen pantry along with Frieda Berlin, who was there attempting to loot supplies. Stratman and Blake themselves lock themselves in the kitchen to avoid being captured by other inmates. Gina Murphy partners up with CO Luschek in an attempt to shut off the alarm, but she cuts the wrong wire and accidentally cuts off power to the entire prison. Luschek is later captured by Pidge and Cabrera. A frightened Judy King - who was about to be released when the riot broke out - barricades herself in the library, finding an awkward companionship with a grieving Soso, who also chose to stay hidden in the library as a way to feel close to Poussey.
Piper Chapman and Alex Vause, trying to lay low, are using the office bathroom when they find Linda Ferguson hiding in a stall. Linda, having been in the prison for the press conference, had been using the bathroom when the riot broke out and tried to stay hidden there, but was given away by the noise from her cell phone. Alex and Piper attempt to escort Linda outside but, finding the doors barricaded, are unable to get her out of the prison. Piper, feeling sorry for Linda, convinces Alex they should help her so she is not taken hostage. They find her a prison uniform to put on, and Linda takes the pseudonym Amelia Von Barlow.
Daya overhears a conversation between Maritza and Flaca Gonzales, in which the latter two are discussing what Daya's nickname might be when she is sent to max for shooting a guard. Realizing for the first time the full weight of what she has done and the consequences it will carry, Daya begins to break down. Running to Piscatella's office to use the phone to attempt to call her mother Aleida Diaz, Daya is knocked out by an unknown person and the gun is stolen from her.
Memorable Quotes Edit
- "Less think. More shoot!"
- — Brandy to Daya)
- "We've got guard hostages and everything; it's bananas out there! It's like a party, except terrifying."
- — Lorna, on the prison riot
- "Is this a real riot? This is a real riot. If this is a real riot, do you think this is a step forward or backwards in equality?"
- — Piper Chapman to Alex Vause
Main Cast Edit
- Taylor Schilling as Piper Chapman
- Natasha Lyonne as Nicky Nichols
- Uzo Aduba as Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren
- Danielle Brooks as Tasha "Taystee" Jefferson
- Jackie Cruz as Marisol "Flaca" Gonzales
- Lea DeLaria as Carrie "Big Boo" Black
- Michael Harney as Sam Healy (credit only)
- Selenis Leyva as Gloria Mendoza
- Taryn Manning as Tiffany Doggett
- Adrienne C. Moore as Cindy "Black Cindy" Hayes
- Jessica Pimentel as Maria Ruiz
- Dascha Polanco as Dayanara Diaz
- Elizabeth Rodriguez as Aleida Diaz (voice only)
- Nick Sandow as Joe Caputo
- Yael Stone as Lorna Morello
- with Kate Mulgrew as Galina "Red" Reznikov
- and Laura Prepon as Alex Vause
Guest Starring Edit
- Emily Althaus as Maureen Kukudio
- Blair Brown as Judy King
- Lori Tan Chinn as Mei Chang
- Rosal Colon as Ouija Aziza
- Laverne Cox as Sophia Burset
- Francesca Curran as Helen Van Maele
- Daniella de Jesus as Zirconia
- Jamie Denbo as Shelly Ginsberg
- Nick Dillenburg as Blake
- Asia Kate Dillon as Brandy Epps
- Beth Dover as Linda Ferguson
- Kimiko Glenn as Brook Soso
- Annie Golden as Norma Romano
- Laura Gomez as Blanca Flores
- Diane Guerrero as Maritza Ramos
- Evan Hall as B. Stratman
- Brad William Henke as Desi Piscatella
- Mike Houston as Lee Dixon
- Vicky Jeudy as Janae Watson
- Kelly Karbacz as Kasey Sankey
- Julie Lake as Angie Rice
- James McMenamin as Charlie Coates
- Miriam Morales as Ramona Contreras
- Emma Myles as Leanne Taylor
- John Palladino as Josh
- Matt Peters as Joel Luschek
- Jolene Purdy as Stephanie Hapakuka
- Abigail Savage as Gina Murphy
- Dale Soules as Frieda Berlin
- Emily Tarver as Artesian McCullough
- Michael Torpey as Thomas Humphrey
- Lin Tucci as Anita DeMarco
- Tamara Torres as Weeping Woman
- Shannon Esper as Alana Dwight
- Michael Bryan French as Jack Pearson
- Olivia Luccardi as Jennifer Digori
- Amanda Stephen as Alison Abdullah
- Arianda Fernandez as Michelle Carreras
- Gerrard Lobo as Ardash
- Mugga as Reema Pell
- David Roberts as Davis
- Sylvan Esso - Hey Mami
- The episode was leaked on April 28, 2017.
- This episode reveals that Piper has three months remaining on her sentence, meaning the previous four seasons have taken place over the course of a year.
- ↑ https://i.reddituploads.com/b344a5a25ece441685947b6264c7b494?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=7960d32201330053cde71a16386c5d2c