| This article is currently under construction.|
You can help the Orange is the New Black Wiki by expanding it or providing any additional information.
"Imaginary Enemies" is the fourth episode of the first season of Orange Is the New Black. It is the fourth episode of the series overall. It premiered on July 11, 2013. It was written by Gary Lennon and directed by Michael Trim.
Piper gets to know her stern new roommate; the prisoners prepare a farewell party for one of their own; a misplaced screwdriver has dire consequences.
Needs to be restructured
Chapman adjusts to living with Claudette and working in the electrical shop. She starts to make friends with Nichols. After Chapman misplaces a screwdriver, the prison staff searches high and low to find it before it's used as a weapon. Mendez molests Chapman during the search. When Chapman returns to her cube with the screwdriver, it places more strain on her relationship with Claudette. After the search ends, Chapman and Claudette make peace. Chapman agrees to review appeal letters from different inmates. Miller schemes to prevent her girlfriend's release until Claudette changes her mind. After Claudette receives a letter from her friend Baptiste, she agrees to have her case reopened.
Note: Flashbacks are arranged in chronological order, not the order in which they occur on the show.
As a child, Claudette began working at a live-in maid service, Clean Makers, in order to pay off her parents' debts. She met Jean Baptiste, the man that introduced her into the maid service for a Finder's Fee.
Claudette grew up and became a manager of Clean Makers. Jean Baptiste came to visit her after not seeing each other for some time. He revealed that he had married a woman named Josephine, and he introduced Claudette to her. Claudette was seemingly disappointed when she discovered he had married. Josephine asked her if it was hard looking after other people's children when she was unable to have any of her own. Claudette replied by saying she had made her peace with it.
Claudette discovered that one of her girls, Odette, was brutally attacked by a customer. She later showed up to his house, saying that the girl is sick that day and that she would clean instead. She later murdered him with a butcher knife. Due to her extreme cleanliness, it is unlikely this was the crime for which she was convicted and sent to prison.
- "Hope is a dangerous thing."
- — Miss Claudette
- Sanford/Jay/Doherty - Everybody Loves Dayanara (OST) (Daya and Bennett’s song)
- Edvard Grieg - Op.46, In The Hall Of Mountain King (Mendez sings it during the bunk inspection)
- Dennis Coffey - Live Wire (Mercy’s party)
- Shawn Lee & Princess Superstar (Concetta Kirschner) - Love Like This (Mercy’s party music, heard in the background when Bennett gives Miss Claudette her mail)
- Franz Schubert - String Quartet in A Minor IV, op 29: Allegro moderato (Ms. Claudette’s flashback)
- Saviours - We Roam (Luschek in his truck before replacing the screwdriver)
- Sanford/Jay/Doherty - Fly On Little Wing (OST) (Credits)